Re: [squid-users] Opinions sought on best storage type for FreeBSD

From: Michel Santos <michel@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 09:13:34 -0300 (BRT)

Tek Bahadur Limbu disse na ultima mensagem:

> diskd indeed seems to fail under load especially when approaching
> 200/300 requests per second.

are you sure this numbers are correct? where do you get them from?

> It causes Squid to crash and restart automatically. Though, the side
> effects are not noticed to the causal user, it prevents the cache from
> stabilizing in the first place.

in first place diskd does not cause automatic restart ;) that is RunCache
who does it and I also do not believe that diskd cause squid to crash

if the crash really happens then there is something wrong on your machine

if the problem is the load and your computer can not handle the load then
it first gets slow or you get out of memory and then squid may crash but
you better should look what is really wrong there before blaming the fs
type you use

> If I opt to use aufs, will the following compilations work?
>
> '--enable-async-io' '--with-pthreads'

with-pthreads is not necessary

but certainly this switch is kind of strange for freebsd since you need to
remap the process-threads to kernel-threads in order to get it right
(faster), both thread implementations should work well then with kqueue
which also is correctly detected by configure when available

Michel

Datacenter Matik http://datacenter.matik.com.br
E-Mail e Data Hosting Service para Profissionais.