Re: [squid-users] Opinions sought on best storage type for FreeBSD

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 11:36:24 +0200

On lör, 2007-08-11 at 15:10 +0545, Tek Bahadur Limbu wrote:

> As far as I know and seen with my limited experience, diskd seems good
> for BSD boxes. But I guess I have to try other alternatives too.
>
> If I opt to use aufs, will the following compilations work?
>
> '--enable-async-io' '--with-pthreads'

--enable-storeio=aufs

pthreads is automatically enabled, so no need to specify that. Won't
hurt if you do however.

If you are on FreeBSD then remember to configure FreeBSD to use kernel
threads for Squid or it won't work well. See another user response in
this thread.

On Linux and Solaris you do not need to care about this as the default
posix threads implementations there supports kernel threads out of the
box.

> --enable-async-io=40

There is no --enable-async-io option any more. This was very long ago..
Still understood as an alias for --enable-storeio=aufs and a few other
configure options however (see --help)

You generally do not need to specify the amount of I/O threads. The
default selected by Squid based on your squid.conf is quite reasonable.