[squid-users] Cache Log File - Will there be performance issues when they hit a certain size?

From: Adam Parsons <adamp@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 09:48:19 +0930 (CST)

Hi,

We have a SquidNT configuration on a Pentium Duo Core 1.73Ghz 1GB Ram and 160GB HDD, we have set 60GB for the cache directory. My question is that if we dont rotate the log files, will it cause issues? An example is one site after 1 week has a cache.log file of 110MB, over a year it could reach 4-5GB, and if we keep this solution in place for 2 years possible 8-10GB. Will a cache.log file of the sizes mentioned cause any problems with how the Squid cache functions? Will it slow it down? The reason why i ask is that i had a scheduled task that rotated the log files, but the image was sysprep'd and since that the scheduled task fails to run. I could log into all the workstations (upto 400), and delete and readd the scheduled task, but wanting to know what would happen if i left it not rotating the log files (Windows firewall blocks me from remotely making the changes to the scheduled task). There is ample space of the workstations to handle the size of the log files.

Thanks, Adam