[squid-users] Unable to forward this request at this time

From: Jake Jacobson <jake.jacobson@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 16:32:31 +0000 (GMT+00:00)

Hi,

I am running Squid 4.6.13 stable on a Solaris 10 platform to reverse proxy a Google search appliance. All search requests go through the squid proxy before being passed to back to the Google appliance.

I noticed that my Squid access log starts having TCP_MISS/500 errors for all URLs that are reversed proxied through it. To correct the error, I end up killing the squid processes running and restarting them. After this the same URL that was getting the 500 error returns the normal TCP_MISS/200

After reading http://www.squid-cache.org/mail-archive/squid-users/200512/0417.html and following the example in this post I added "always_direct allow all" to my configuration file. After restarting squid, I was getting TCP_MISS/403. This forced me to comment out that line.

It seems like when the Google appliance goes down, squid starts returning server 500 errors and continues to server these errors after the appliance is back up and running. This forces me to have to manually stop and start the squid processes. I was hoping that the always_direct allow all configuration change would work. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Jake

Martin C. Jacobson (Jake)
Office of the DNI CIO
Intelligence Community Enterprise Services
Comm: (301) 317-7214 Secure: 369-6362