Re: [squid-users] Content Rewriting with Squid

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 11:35:14 -0600

On Thu, 2007-08-23 at 16:51 +0100, Marek Narkiewicz wrote:
> Hi there.
>
> I am investigating into a solution to set up a proxy server that will
> rewrite page content as it passes through the proxy. The content will
> be served to privately owned kiosks, and the kind of rewriting will be
> to remove adverts and replace them with other content and suchlike.
>
> Is it possible to use squid for this? My investigations so far have
> indicated that it would be possible to code something using either
> content streams or ICAP to do so, is this correct?
>
> If so, which method is more advisable and is there somewhere I can see
> examples of such 'addons'?

Please see http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/ContentAdaptation

The public adaptation examples would be various ICAP-capable virus
filters and also the ESI support in Squid3 that was written using
ClientStreams API. There are lots of private/closed adaptation services
using ICAP.

The above FAQ entry may give you the initial information necessary to
decide which method works best for your needs. Please feel free to post
any specific questions not answered there, of course.

Thank you,

Alex.