Re: [squid-users] diskd question

From: Tek Bahadur Limbu <teklimbu@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 00:41:25 +0545

Hi Frank,

Frank Ruiz wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> So I am using local disk for my cache. This consists of a 500G SATA drive.
>
> My cache size is 50G.
>
> I tried using a queue size of Q1=72 and Q1=64, however it looks like I
> am still I/O constrained with http requests taking up to 11 seconds.

Which operating system and squid version are you using diskd with?

With my limited experience, diskd is better suited for FreeBSD systems.
However, it's performance is more than satisfactory in Linux systems too.

Are you using SquidClient or SNMP to measure the http requests response
time? Bandwidth saturation and alot of ACL filtering could also slow
down your http response time. Posting your squid.conf may help.

Also how many users do you have and what is the hardware configuration
of your Squid box?

What does the following squidclient output say:

squidclient mgr:5min | grep client

> I am using UFS. Logging, and access time have been disabled.
>
> I am now running at:
> Q1=12 Q2=10

I am a little confused.

So now you are using Q1=12 Q2=10 for diskd? If you are, I think that
they are too small a value.

If your Squid box is a busy machine, then disabling logging to
access.log or cache.log may help to some extent.

> Does anyone happen to have any suggestions?

You can try something like:

cache_dir diskd /cache 50000 48 256 Q1=64 Q2=72

By the way, running a 50 GB cache may need alot of memory and a fast
hard drive too!

Hope it helps.

Thanking you...

--