Re: [squid-users] criticism against squid

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 00:31:41 +0200

On tor, 2007-08-30 at 01:23 +0800, howard chen wrote:

> I am not familiar with the internal of squid in fact, anyone has any comments?

Yes, Squid is old. Parts of the code is in fact more thant 10 years old.

Yes, Squid is not primarily designed to be a reverse proxy. The main
focus for Squid has been Internet proxying. But reverse proxying is
within the scope of Squid and has gotten a lot more attention in the
last years.

Yes, there is aspects of the internal design of Squid which can be
significantly improved. Work is being done in that area, but it takes
time.

Is Squid better/worse than Varnish? Depends on your needs. They both
have their strengths and weaknesses. For some uses Varnish is a much
better fit, for some other uses it does not work at all.