Re: [squid-users] criticism against squid

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 14:14:06 +1000

On 2007/08/31, at 7:04 AM, Nicole wrote:

> On 29-Aug-07 My Secret NSA Wiretap Overheard john allspaw Saying :
>> Varnish shows a lot of promise. I do believe that there's a good
>> amount of
>> trash talking in
>> those comments, especially given that squid would for sure have
>> been designed
>> differently if
>> it set out to be a fast accelerator, not a forward proxy with all
>> of the
>> bells and whistles.
>>
>> Flickr can't use Varnish in its current form, for example, because
>> object
>> eviction isn't yet a feature. :)
>> Hence, we use squid. It's working just fine for us. So in that
>> case, I'll
>> take the "1980" design that works,
>> versus the 2007 design that doesn't. :)
>>
>> -j
>
> It seems like their trash talking is to try to get people to
> switch and try to
> garner more funding. Varnish is also not as user friendly as squid.

The lack of documentation is the biggest problem I have. They also
describe it as a HTTP caching reverse proxy, when they don't honour
many parts of HTTP.

The 'trash talk' seems based on their conviction that the OS can
manage VM better than Squid does, with application-specific
knowledge. As long as you don't set your cache_mem too high, you
won't run into the doomsday scenarios they paint...

> Now.. if your from flickr.. and you use Squid.. Seems like a big
> company like
> yours should be making some nice donations.. poke poke.. That would
> help squid
> get updated :)

Stay tuned.

--