[squid-users] NEGATIVE_HIT

From: Paul Bertain <paul@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2007 09:15:53 -0700

HI All,

We are experiencing a fairly regular occurance of Negative hits. If
I understand correctly, this is when the Squid parent thinks it has a
copy of the object but the object does not exist where it thought it
had it anymore. Is this correct? I have altered the ExpiresDefault
directive in Apache for my web server to see if the time the
NEGATIVE_HIT lasts is shorter but I was wondering if the best way to
clear that out is through Cachemgr using squidclient (which I am
having troubles setting up):

squidclient -r -v -p 80 http://web.lipadesogesk.name/favicon.ico

and here is a sample NEGATIVE_HIT log entry:

75.62.2.60 - - [08/Sep/2007:09:21:32 -0500] "GET http://
web.lipadesogesk.name/favicon.ico HTTP/1.1" 403 1579
TCP_NEGATIVE_HIT:NONE

Thanks,
Paul