Re: [squid-users] NEGATIVE_HIT

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2007 19:09:44 +0200

On lör, 2007-09-08 at 09:15 -0700, Paul Bertain wrote:
> HI All,
>
> We are experiencing a fairly regular occurance of Negative hits. If
> I understand correctly, this is when the Squid parent thinks it has a
> copy of the object but the object does not exist where it thought it
> had it anymore. Is this correct?

No, negative hits is when an earlier error is seen in response to the
request.

403 is "Forbidden/Access denied".

> I have altered the ExpiresDefault
> directive in Apache for my web server to see if the time the
> NEGATIVE_HIT lasts is shorter but I was wondering if the best way to
> clear that out is through Cachemgr using squidclient (which I am
> having troubles setting up):

Errors generally do not have expiry information. Instead the
negative_ttl from squid.conf is used.

> and here is a sample NEGATIVE_HIT log entry:
>
> 75.62.2.60 - - [08/Sep/2007:09:21:32 -0500] "GET http://
> web.lipadesogesk.name/favicon.ico HTTP/1.1" 403 1579
> TCP_NEGATIVE_HIT:NONE

To find when the error which was cached you have to scroll back to the
last non-negative request for this URL. Should have been a 403 response.
Usually a TCP_MISS.