Re: [squid-users] Re: How to enable these FEATURES in SQUID

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 16:40:29 +0800

On Fri, Sep 14, 2007, Indunil Jayasooriya wrote:

> mysql> show databases;
> +----------+
> | Database |
> +----------+
> | mysql |
> | netmrg |
> | squid |
> | test |
> +----------+
> 4 rows in set (0.02 se
>
> What are the things I will have to do beyond this point?

You'll need to create a database with usernames, passwords and expiry information.

You'll then need to write a basic authentication helper for Squid which
reads the user/pass given, checks it against the table and returns OK or ERR.

Once you've got that (and its easy to test - you can run the helper yourself
at the command line and just enter user<space>password<enter> at each line,
obviously substituting the real keys for the <space> and <enter> bits. :)
you can configure up Squid to use it.

Google for "writing squid basic authentication helper"; perhaps start
here:

http://wiki.squid-cache.org/ProgrammingGuide/AuthenticationFramework

> > (But in an amusing twist of fate, thats one of the requirements for my
> > commercial squid appliance in its first round, so I've written it. ;)
>
> May I see what you have written?

Not yet; its going in a commercial box, remember? :)

Adrian

- $25/pm entry-level bandwidth-capped VPSes available in WA -