Re: [squid-users] Re: How to enable these FEATURES in SQUID

From: Indunil Jayasooriya <indunil75@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 13:59:08 +0530

On 9/3/07, Adrian Chadd <adrian@creative.net.au> wrote:
> Its not really a function of the Squid software; its a function of whatever
> authentication backend you decide to use.
>
> You could quite happily script up a bunch of stuff to store usernames/passwords/
> expiry information in an SQL table and use a basic authentication helper to
> authenticate against that.

I would like to go with mysql. I am new to these. So could you pls
tell me how to start it.

On the box running squid 2.5, I have installed mysql RPM and started
the service.
and got mysql promt and created a database called squid.

psl see below;

mysql> create database squid;
Query OK, 1 row affected (0.03 sec)

mysql> show databases;
+----------+
| Database |
+----------+
| mysql |
| netmrg |
| squid |
| test |
+----------+
4 rows in set (0.02 se

What are the things I will have to do beyond this point?

How use a basic authentication helper to authenticate against that ?
I think I will have to add something to squid.conf file. Am I right?

> Squid doesn't come with all of that by default.
>
> (But in an amusing twist of fate, thats one of the requirements for my
> commercial squid appliance in its first round, so I've written it. ;)

May I see what you have written?

--
Thank you
Indunil Jayasooriya