[squid-users] Bungled squid.conf due to cache_dir

From: Paul Cocker <paul.cocker@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 12:09:46 +0100

I'm setting up SquidNT 2.6STABLE14 using a fresh config on a Windows
2003 server. I've located it in the folder D:\Program Files\squid,
mainly because there are several other programs installed on the server
and it keep the folder list clean, they're all within this directory.

However, when I try to start the service I get the following:

FATAL: Bungled squid.conf line 1072: cache_dir ufs "D:/Program
Files/squid/var/cache" 2000 16 256

Now, I assume this is due to spaces in the directory path which I
thought the quotes would resolve. It occurred to me that perhaps the
options needed to be contained within the path, so I moved the closing
quote after the 256, though the error remained unchanged (barring
placement of the quote mark), but then this wouldn't work anyway unless
squid could read my mind regarding the chance of numbers being in a
directory name, or didn't accept them there at all.

I also considered the possibility that cachemgr.conf was to blame,
seeing as it simply had localhost in there, and I am using port 3129 for
this build of squid as an older, 2.5 version is running on 3128, though
so long as squid responds, regardless of version, it shouldn't matter
anyway should it? I tried changing localhost to localhost:3129 just in
case, but it made no difference.

Can this be made to work in a configuration where there are spaces in
the directory names?

Many thanks,

Paul Cocker
IT Systems Administrator
IT Security Officer

01628 81(6647)

TNT Post (Doordrop Media) Ltd.
1 Globeside Business Park
Fieldhouse Lane
Marlow
Bucks
SL7 1HY

TNT Post is the trading name for TNT Post UK Ltd (company number: 04417047), TNT Post (Doordrop Media) Ltd (00613278), TNT Post Scotland Ltd (05695897),TNT Post North Ltd (05701709) and TNT Post South West Ltd (05983401). Emma's Diary and Lifecycle are trading names for Lifecycle Marketing (Mother and Baby) Ltd (02556692). All companies are registered in England and Wales; registered address: 1 Globeside Business Park, Fieldhouse Lane, Marlow, Buckinghamshire, SL7 1HY.