Re: [squid-users] Bungled squid.conf due to cache_dir

From: Guido Serassio <guido.serassio@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 00:22:32 +0200

Hi,

At 13.09 14/09/2007, Paul Cocker wrote:
>I'm setting up SquidNT 2.6STABLE14 using a fresh config on a Windows
>2003 server. I've located it in the folder D:\Program Files\squid,
>mainly because there are several other programs installed on the server
>and it keep the folder list clean, they're all within this directory.
>
>However, when I try to start the service I get the following:
>
>FATAL: Bungled squid.conf line 1072: cache_dir ufs "D:/Program
>Files/squid/var/cache" 2000 16 256
>
>Now, I assume this is due to spaces in the directory path which I
>thought the quotes would resolve. It occurred to me that perhaps the
>options needed to be contained within the path, so I moved the closing
>quote after the 256, though the error remained unchanged (barring
>placement of the quote mark), but then this wouldn't work anyway unless
>squid could read my mind regarding the chance of numbers being in a
>directory name, or didn't accept them there at all.
>
>I also considered the possibility that cachemgr.conf was to blame,
>seeing as it simply had localhost in there, and I am using port 3129 for
>this build of squid as an older, 2.5 version is running on 3128, though
>so long as squid responds, regardless of version, it shouldn't matter
>anyway should it? I tried changing localhost to localhost:3129 just in
>case, but it made no difference.
>
>Can this be made to work in a configuration where there are spaces in
>the directory names?

Looking into Windows support section of Release Notes
http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v2/2.6/RELEASENOTES.html#s6,
about the Compatibility Notes, you can read:
"Paths with spaces (like 'C:\Programs Files\Squid) are NOT supported by Squid"
So the answer to your question is no.

In Theory this could work using Windows short path names, but this
not a reliable solution because short path names generation is volume
dependent.

Regards

Guido

-
Guido Serassio
Acme Consulting S.r.l. - Microsoft Certified Partner
Via Lucia Savarino, 1 10098 - Rivoli (TO) - ITALY
Tel. : +39.011.9530135 Fax. : +39.011.9781115
Email: guido.serassio@acmeconsulting.it
WWW: http://www.acmeconsulting.it/