[squid-users] How can I clean out old objects - refresh_patterns , extra memoryt usage and more..

From: Nicole <nmh@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 17:27:20 -0700 (PDT)

 Hello all

 I have a few squid servers that seem to have gotten a bit out of control.

 They are using up all the systems memory and starting to serve items slowly.

 As near as I can tell, it seems to just want more memory than I have to serve
and manage all the objects in the cache.

 Internal Data Structures:
        20466526 StoreEntries
         24888 StoreEntries with MemObjects
         24870 Hot Object Cache Items
        20466434 on-disk objects

I have tried reducing my refresh pattern from:
refresh_pattern -i \.jpg 10080 150% 40320 ignore-reload
to:
refresh_pattern -i \.jpg 5040 100% 4320 ignore-reload

and doing a reload.

 However, I have not noticed it expiring out old objects and freeing up disk
space like I thought it would.

 Do objects get stored based on their original refresh pattern? So even if I
change it, they won't expire until they expire based on the pattern they were
stored with?

 Is there any way to tell the age of the objects eating up my cache storage
space? Any reccomendations on how to reduce my object count besides reducing
disk space? This is for a reverse proxy cache and we have the cache
header set to expire objects in 2 weeks. I really can't believe that I have
20Million 2 week old objects.

  Thanks!

  Nicole

--
  -  nmh@daemontech.com  -  Powered by FreeBSD  -
 "The term "daemons" is a Judeo-Christian pejorative.
 Such processes will now be known as "spiritual guides"
  - Politicaly Correct UNIX Page