[squid-users] using squid to mirror files?

From: Greg Kellum <greg.kellum@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 15:55:32 +0200

Hi all,

I have been helping develop a community based website for sharing
audio samples. The site now gets more traffic than we have bandwidth
for, and we have been hoping to enlist some fellow academic
institutions to help us mirror our files. But rather than simply
transferring all the files to these mirrors, I had been thinking about
placing a Squid server on each mirror, configuring it as an
accelerator, and then redirecting traffic to these squid servers from
the main site. Then, all traffic would pass through the Squid
servers, and the most heavily requested files would be cached by the
Squid servers while less frequently requested files would be pulled
from the main server. Um... I'm writing to ask whether anyone thinks
I will encounter any unexpected problems if I try to do this. As far
as I can tell, other people have been using Squid as an accelerator to
take the load of dynamically generated websites, but no one seems to
be using it for file mirroring. Is there a deeper reason for this?

Best,
Greg Kellum