Re: [squid-users] using squid to mirror files?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 22:23:23 +0200

On ons, 2007-09-19 at 15:55 +0200, Greg Kellum wrote:

> from the main server. Um... I'm writing to ask whether anyone thinks
> I will encounter any unexpected problems if I try to do this. As far
> as I can tell, other people have been using Squid as an accelerator to
> take the load of dynamically generated websites, but no one seems to
> be using it for file mirroring. Is there a deeper reason for this?

Works quite fine for that as well.

What quite many heavily loaded sites do is to use Squid to offload all
static content (images etc), leaving the web server to only render the
pages into HTML. And if the content is only semi-dynamic allowing the
rendered pages to stay in the cache for some time to further offload the
web server.

If these audio files is a little larger you may need to allow larger
files to get cached in squid.conf. See the maximum_object_size option.
Default is 4 MB. There is no upper limit.