Re: [squid-users] How can I clean out old objects - refresh patt

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 22:27:49 +0200

On ons, 2007-09-19 at 10:56 -0700, Nicole wrote:

> I tried this, but it did not do that much. Could you explain more about what
> this does? Is it rebuilding swap.state, based on what files you have in your
> cache, or is it removing listings from swap.state for files that you no longer
> seem to have?

The latter. It writes a clean swap.state based on the object Squid knows
is there. (it keeps all this information in memory while running,
therefore the memory usage by number of objects..).

Having a reasonably clean swap.state means faster rebuild on restart.

> So squid -k rotate is walking the disk and looking for files that are stale
> based on the refresh_pattern criteria?

No. It just dumps the in-memory cache index to disk in a clean go,
truncating the swap.state journal file.

> Was the old setting for lru_reference_age (or something like that) to aid in
> setting a "you must be younger than this or frequently accessed" to stay in my
> cache?

Don't remember exactly what this option did unfortunately. Was quite
long ago...