[squid-users] External auth program.

From: Sherwood Botsford <sbotsford@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 14:27:42 -0600

I am having a problem with students who don't want to be held
accountable for what they do. Since we have limited bandwidth, I
want to use some form of authentication, and delay pools so that
the piggy users are reigned in.

Using password based authentication is not effective. They just
get a friend's password and carry on. Since some kids don't use
the internet much, there is an active black market in internet
passwords.

I have written a proof of principal perl program that initially
prompts the user to create three questions that he will know the
answer to. From that point on, it will ask one of the questions
so that he can prove who he is, and will ask him to create a new
question and answer for his account. Answers have to be unique
over the student body. (Once one person has used "green" as an
answer, no one else can use green.)

Unless the student creates a crib sheet for his friends, loaning
an account is impractical.

I can't figure out how to tie this into squid. Is it even
possible, or do I have to tie it into pf instead? (Both squid
and pf run on Openbsd.) Pointers appreciated.