Re: [squid-users] Simple authentication on a home-based (ie no domain controller) WinXP box

From: Guido Serassio <guido.serassio@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 23:09:14 +0200

Hi,

At 09.46 19/09/2007, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
>On tis, 2007-09-18 at 22:34 -0700, Jeffery Chow wrote:
> > Ideally I would store a username/password pair in a text file
> > somewhere on my system (plaintext or not, doesn't matter), but the
> > authentication helpers that I see in my distro (mswin_auth,
> > mswin_negotiate_auth, mswin_ntlm_auth) don't come with enough
> > documentation to tell me which one is the right one to try.
>
>Neither, from your description you want ncsa_auth. It should be included
>as well I hope, if not lets ask Guido to include it.

ncsa_auth is included into the Windows binary kit.
If needed, NCSA support tools (htpasswd and chpasswd.cgi) for Windows
are available here:
http://squid.acmeconsulting.it/download/NCSAsupport.zip

>The mswin_* helpers is for authenticating to the Windows user services.
>Which may be the local accounts on your XP if you like.. The three
>mswin_* helpers is one per authentication scheme (see the auth_param
>directive).

Local account authentication can be done using mswin_auth (basic) and
mswin_ntlm_auth (NTLM). For negotiate usage, a Kerberos KDC is
needed, so it cannot be used without an AD Windows domain.

Regards

Guido

-
Guido Serassio
Acme Consulting S.r.l. - Microsoft Certified Partner
Via Lucia Savarino, 1 10098 - Rivoli (TO) - ITALY
Tel. : +39.011.9530135 Fax. : +39.011.9781115
Email: guido.serassio@acmeconsulting.it
WWW: http://www.acmeconsulting.it/