Re: [squid-users] Repeated LDAP auth login prompt problem.

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 10:09:24 +0200

On ons, 2007-09-19 at 15:41 -0400, Chris Rosset wrote:
> I am having a problem with Ldap Auth/Squid. certain restricted users
> being prompted multiple times for auth even though it should be
> cached.

Most times I have seen this it's been a browser problem. It is the
browser who maintain the session cache, sending the login + password to
Squid in each and every request.

What do access.log say? If you see 407 responses with a - in the
username field then no login details was supplied to Squid in the
request.

I have occasionally seen browsers behave in this manner if not yet
logged in to the browser and the HTML was cached or did not require
authentication.

This is also a known problem with Java applets as these run within the
Java runtime environment which provides it's own HTTP functions not
using the browser..

> This behaviour happens with a site such as
> http://www.euroinvestor.co.uk/
> many others as well. It prompts them for the initial webpage then
> various ad's on the page as well.

Works fine for me using Firefox and Squid-2.6.