RE: [squid-users] squid 2.6 and squidguard 1.2.0 problems

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 11:27:38 +0200

On ons, 2007-09-26 at 16:11 +0800, chteh wrote:
> Dear Mr.Henrik Nordstrom,
>
> For the cache_effective_user, I read about that in the squid mailing list.
> Could you please elaborate more about this part? I think I almost try
> everything but not this part yet.
>
> Is it means that I need to insert these 2 lines in the squid.conf?
>
> cache_effective_user squid
> cache_effective_group squid

It mans that you need to test SquidGuard from the user account
cache_effective_user is set to. It's always set to something as there is
a built-in default even if you don't specify it in your squid.conf. See
squid.conf.default for the default setting, usually "nobody" or "squid".

To change user to the "squid" user you can use the following:

  su - squid

to verify the user identity after su use the "id" command. If still root
then the user is probably blocked for interactive use, and you can try

  su -s /bin/sh - squid

instead..