[squid-users] WRR and non-round robin cache_peers in Squid 3.0.PRE7

From: Todd Harris <todd@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 11:41:51 -0600

Hi all -

I've been playing around with Squid 3.0.PRE7 a bit and have a small
question on using (weighted) round-robin.

This is in a reverse proxy setting, naturally.

I have a cluster of back-end machines set up using cache_peer and
weighted round robin:

cache_peer [IP] parent 8080 0 no-query originserver weighted-round-
robin name=server1
cache_peer [IP] parent 8080 0 no-query originserver weighted-round-
robin name=server2

I have some other machines that handle computationally intensive
tasks. I want to send specific requests to these boxes based on url:

cache_peer [IP] parent 8080 0 no-query originserver name=box1

I have (I think) appropriate acls to access these back end machines
and am using cache_peer_access to drive requests to specific boxes:

acl server1 dstdomain server1
acl server2 dstdomain server2

acl ComputationalProcess urlregex_path -i bigjob
cache_peer_access ComputationalProcess allow box1
cache_peer_access deny server1 server2

Two questions:
1. Squid doesn't seem to be able to choose the box1 originserver
unless it is also included in the round-robin pool. Is this true /
the correct way to do this?

2. For each job I have, I have to specifically set lets of allow/deny
cache_peer_access lines. Is this perhaps best handled as a
url_rewrite_program instead?

Thanks!

Todd