Re: [squid-users] Squid FTP - CWD direct vs incremental

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 02:14:45 +0200

On fre, 2007-09-28 at 12:43 -0400, Tony wrote:
> Pardon me if I'm missing something, but I noticed squid will only change
> one directory at a time via the CWD command.

Yes, as defined in RFC1738 where the ftp:// URL scheme is specified.

> It will not CWD directly
> to the requested path. This presents a problem for me where I have to
> change directories below folders without read perms.
>
> For instance: ftp://ftp.example.com/ftp/data/user/

You can URL-encode parts if you want Squid to see them as a single
directory with / in their name..

> Lets say that the data directory does not have read permissions on it to
> keep from getting a user list of the FTP box. The user directory
> however has read perms on it. When I try an go to the full URL, squid
> replies:
>
> Squid sent the following FTP command:
>
> CWD data
>
> and then received this reply
>
> ftp: Access is denied.

This is an odd FTP server.. allowing CWD via a directory but not CWD
into the directory..

CWD do not need read access, only the right to change directory in or
via the directory..

> Any ideas on how to get past this?

ftp://ftp.example.com/ftp/data%2fuser/

But I would seriously recommend fixing the FTP server to allow CWD but
not read access to data.. odd setups like this is just confusing to
everyone involved.

What kind of FTP server is this? On what OS?