Re: [squid-users] Reverse Proxy with Apache (LB) in front

From: Andrew Miehs <andrew@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 17:28:37 +0200

On 09/10/2007, at 5:09 PM, Yann Verry wrote:
> I have think to Squid 2.6 (debian etch package) and Apache in reverse
> proxy mode (LoadBalancing and rewrite rules to specify a squid, apply
> loadfactor, ...). I have a problem to evaluate the resources needed.

Why are you using Apache as a load balancer? - Isn't there anything
better available?

> Internet
> |

> Apache ( Reverse Proxy Mode)
> / | \
> / | \
> / | \
> Squid--Squid--Squid
> \ | /
> ligHTTPD Static server
>

> The filesystem on squid server is ReiserFS (raid 10 with hdd SAS 15K
> RPM 73Go) with 4Gb ram and intel quad core.

We have an application delivering jpg photos (30k to 300k) from our
Lighttpds,
and discovered that the squids were only quicker than lighttpd when
delivering
the files from memory. (/dev/null as disk).

I would probably increase the amount of RAM in your squids - to 16GB.
Squid can also not really make use of more than one core, so I would
probably
just use a quicker 2 core machine.

How much data do you need to cache?

Regards