[squid-users] [Newbie] Squid running, but external websites sometimes see proxy's sometimes client's IP

From: Tony Bruguier <bruguiea@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 15:30:52 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all,

I recently setup a squid cache server on an OpenBSD box. The proxy sits at
work and I access it from home (with login/password). I updated my settings
in Firefox and everything seemed to work fine.

However, I get two different behaviors when I consult websites that return
"my" ip.

1) If I go to: http://www.ip-adress.com/, I get the proxy's IP (work IP).

2) If I go to: http://www.whatismyip.com/, I get the client's IP (home IP).

I am pretty sure that Firefox always uses the proxy because when I turn off
Squid, it cannot access anything anymore. However, I think the client's IP
is sent by Squid to the server I consult. Is there any way to suppress this
behavior?

I hope I was clear. Thanks in advance,
Tony