Re: [squid-users] [Newbie] Squid running, but external websites sometimes see proxy's sometimes client's IP

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 13:28:50 +1300 (NZDT)

> Hi all,
>
> I recently setup a squid cache server on an OpenBSD box. The proxy sits at
> work and I access it from home (with login/password). I updated my
> settings
> in Firefox and everything seemed to work fine.
>
> However, I get two different behaviors when I consult websites that return
> "my" ip.
>
> 1) If I go to: http://www.ip-adress.com/, I get the proxy's IP (work IP).
>
> 2) If I go to: http://www.whatismyip.com/, I get the client's IP (home
> IP).

ip-address follows the general web behaviour of most public sites, only
looking at the direct client.

whatismyip follows a more secure behaviour, back-tracing the request to
the IP any decently secure website would authorize for logins.

> I am pretty sure that Firefox always uses the proxy because when I turn
> off
> Squid, it cannot access anything anymore. However, I think the client's IP
> is sent by Squid to the server I consult. Is there any way to suppress
> this
> behavior?

It does. It is. Yes, but why?.
FYI: squid is only passing the IP it sees as additional info. So it will
not affect your general browsing experience. Only this systems that need
to know bother tracing back. But consider; why would you want to hide? it
had better be a secure proxy if its identifying itself as responsible for
all traffic it requests.

google search these mail archives for X-Forwarded-For:, the topic has been
well and truly covered earlier.

Amos