Re: [squid-users] Can squid 2.6 STABLE 16 in accelerator mode, run on only one interface ?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 11:31:48 +1300 (NZDT)

> Hi squid-users,
>
> I am wondering if it possible to run squid on a
> machine having only one ethernet interface.
>
> This means that both the requests coming from http
> clients and request going to originserver acutally go
> over one and the same ethernet interface.

It can easily. Each type of traffic; accelerated, standard proxy, backend
traffic; work on a different ports.

> In addition , can the IP address of the originserver
> and the IP address of the interface where squid is
> listening on, can be in the same subnet, or do I need
> to create secondary IP address for the squid <-->
> originserver traffic ?

Backend server can be anywhere. So long as the squid machine can open a
TCP connection to it.

> I am very reluctant to go for this setup since I
> expect a lot of performance issues.
> Do you agree with me ? Is there any estimate with
> respect to performance loss ?

Performance is limited by several things. Many of which have been stripped
away in recent versions. Having traffic run both in and out of the same
NIC will only cut you to ~1/2 its max throughput as the very worst case
scenario where every client requests unique no-cachable content.

> What is your opinion about this ?

Neither for nor against. It's one of the common setups.

> thanks in advance.

Amos