Re: [squid-users] squid hardening - weird behaviour

From: <devzero@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 09:37:06 +0200

Hello Amos,

many thanks for your hints!
very valuable!

> squidclient mgr:filedescriptors
> will give you a list of all sockets and pipes squid has currently open and
> which module is using it.

here is the output from my system:

Active file descriptors:
File Type Tout Nread * Nwrite * Remote Address Description
---- ------ ---- -------- -------- --------------------- ------------------------------
   3 Log 0 0 0 /var/log/squid/cache.log
   5 Socket 0 2625 1393 .0 DNS Socket
   6 File 0 0 52767 /var/log/squid/access.log
   7 Pipe 0 0 0 unlinkd -> squid
   8 File 0 0 47879 /var/log/squid/store.log
   9 File 0 0 5904 /var/cache/squid/swap.state
  10 Pipe 0 0 0 squid -> unlinkd
  11 Socket 1440 70* 0 10.0.0.1.37335 cache_object://10.0.0.1/filedescriptors
  12 Socket 0 0* 0 .0 HTTP Socket

vmhost:~ # netstat -anp |grep squid
tcp 0 0 10.0.0.60:3128 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 6408/(squid)
udp 0 0 0.0.0.0:34810 0.0.0.0:* 6408/(squid)
unix 2 [ ] DGRAM 393012150 6406/squid
unix 2 [ ] DGRAM 393012149 6408/(squid)

weird, i don`t see any listeing socket with squidclient - i would have expected 3128 and 34810 here !?

> > would it help if i update to most recent squid release ?
>
> If you are after paranoid security. The latest stable release of 2.6.
> There are a security advisories out for releases as recent as 2.6s11. Some
> potential loopholes we have fixed as recently as 2.6s17.

mh, maybe the version i`m using is just too old. i think i will update for features/bugfixes
and compare. if i use squid only from internal network, and close all ports to the outside,
an update because of security doesn`t really matter for me.

regards
roland

Jetzt neu! Schützen Sie Ihren PC mit McAfee und WEB.DE. 3 Monate