[squid-users] Many to Many Reverse Proxy Configuration for squid 2.6.16

From: Warwick Shaw <warwick.shaw@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 18:21:15 -0400

We have been using squid in the following configuration since the end year 2000.

Outward facing public squid servers serve content for multiple hosts.
Behind the public servers is a middle layer of squid servers that hide
the real origin servers.
The real origin servers are various content management systems and
flat file Apache web servers.

The middle layer is using squid 2.5.11 along with jesred.
The many to many relationship of host name to origin server is just
two lines in the squid.conf
httpd_accel_host virtual
httpd_accel_uses_host_header on

A non public dns takes care of host names coming and going. When we
change the rewrite rules we just run squid -k reconfigure.

Is there a configuration for squid 2.6.16 which avoids having to
maintain a list of source and destination host names in squid.conf?

Thank you,

Warwick