Re: [squid-users] Squid on DualxQuad Core 8GB Rams - Optimization - Performance - Large Scale - IP Spoofing

From: Tony Dodd <tony@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 08:03:22 +0100

Adrian Chadd wrote:
> Out of curiousity, how many Squid servers do you have deployed out there?
>

> Adrian

We've got 8 in total, currently. I'll preempt you asking for specs:

4 are:

Supermicro 1u with Dual Core Xeon 5148 2.33Ghz, 4gb DDR2, 4 x 400gb
7200rpm disks in hardware raid 1+0.

These guys proved to be too slow; they start hitting I/O overloads at
around 100-150 requests/sec, so I got:

Poweredge 1950s with one Quad Core Xeon L5310 1.6Ghz, 8gb FB-DIMM, 4 x
73gb 15krpm SAS drives in hardware raid 1+0.

I haven't actually been able to hit the performance limits of these
machines yet; I capped out at a kernel limit around 400 requests/sec.
Interestingly, these guys only cost $200 more than the poor spec SM
machines.

The squid cluster is set up to only talk to origin servers, and they
don't have a sibling relationship; I found that the 1-2 second overhead
for query/fetch from siblings was impeeding performance... and screwing
up my graphs with leaps to 2000msec from the usual 10msec response time.
  In front of the squids, we have lvs + perlbal, depending on the domain
being accessed. I should also mention that they're in use as a reverse
caching proxy.

--
Tony Dodd, Systems Administrator
Last.fm | http://www.last.fm