Re: [squid-users] Squid on DualxQuad Core 8GB Rams - Optimization - Performance - Large Scale - IP Spoofing

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 14:41:11 +0800

On Wed, Oct 17, 2007, Michel Santos wrote:

> I am not so sure if this 2400 req/sec wasn't per minute and also wasn't
> from cache but only incoming requests ...
>
> I pay you a beer or even two if you show me a "device" type pIII which can
> satisfy 2400 req from disk

And:

Product: Cisco Cache Engine 7300
Version: CE7300
Cost USD: 127500
Available: May 01
Num Caches: 1
CPU: 2xPIII-Xeon-733
RAM (gig): 2
Cache Disk(GB): 21x18
NICs: 1x1024
Switching Gear: Cisco Catalyst WS-C3524-XL-A
Cache (GB): 200
OS: CE

Now, in case you didn't know, the "CE" Operating System was and is a modified Linux.

Thats 2400 requests a second at a decent hit rate on hardware from 2000.
They optimised the crap out of the data path to avoid multiple copies of data
both in user and kernel space; I'm sure their userspace code was also pretty
lean.

Now, before you go "21x18 gig disks, 2400 req/sec, understandable" realise that
means they're capable of doing ~ 1200 req/sec per single CPU. PIII-Xeon-733's.
Squid doesn't get that far on a PIII Xeon 733 - I can't get it past 200 req/sec
at the moment on my Xeon 600MHz, even with Squid-2.HEAD.

Any guesses what thats capable of on modern hardware? :)

Adrian

- $25/pm entry-level bandwidth-capped VPSes available in WA -