Re: [squid-users] monthly log rotation

From: Michael Alger <squid@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 01:54:47 -0400

On Thu, Oct 18, 2007 at 11:14:13AM +0530, Arun Shrimali wrote:

> I have configured Squid 2.5 stable 6.
> My all settings related to log are default, thus log automatic
> rotate on sunday night. I want this to be rotate on monthly basis
> i.e. on 30th / 31st night.
> where should i make the changes

Squid doesn't rotate its logs. How logs are handled will vary
depending on your platform, but if you're using a modern-ish Linux
distribution my guess would be to look at the files in /etc/logrotate.d/
and read the manpage for logrotate(8).

If you don't find anything helpful there, you'll need to research
how your platform manages logs.

The short form is that an external program moves the logs to another
location, then tells squid to re-open the logs, typically by running
  squid -k rotate