Re: [squid-users] monthly log rotation

From: Tek Bahadur Limbu <teklimbu@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 14:00:59 +0545

Hi Arun,

Arun Shrimali wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I have configured Squid 2.5 stable 6.
> My all settings related to log are default, thus log automatic rotate
> on sunday night. I want this to be rotate on monthly basis i.e. on
> 30th / 31st night.
> where should i make the changes

How are you rotating your logs every Sunday night currently? Does your
log rotation include just Squid logs or everything (kernel messages,etc)?

Is Redhat your OS? Basically, you normally use the utility called
logrotate to rotate your machine's various log files.

You can check the site below for more information on using logrotate to
rotate Squid and Apache logs:

http://teklimbu.wordpress.com/2007/10/16/managing-your-linuxunix-log-files-using-logrotate/

Or simply,

Add the following entry to rotate your squid logs on the 28th of every
month at 1 AM in your /etc/crontab

00 01 28 * * root squid -k rotate > /dev/null 2>&1

Note: you may need to specify the full path of your squid binary.

By the way, I personally feel that your Squid 2.5stable6 is way too old!
I feel that your time has come to upgrade.

Check out the latest stable release below:

http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v2/2.6/squid-2.6.STABLE16.tar.gz

Thanking you...

--
With best regards and good wishes,