[squid-users] 2 Squids in front of one webserver - MISS never queries peer, only backend

From: Cryer,Phil <Phil.Cryer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 14:34:12 -0500

We have 2 Squids (on server27 and server28) in front of one webserver
(server18), which is not running Squid. Any time 27 or 28 have a MISS
on a request they immediately query FIRST_PARENT_UP, which is always
server18. Even when we change it so that 28 is a parent of 27 and vice
versa. In other words, the caches don't pull cache from each other,
even when we set it up that one HAS the object the other needs; it still
goes to the PARENT, server18 for the file. We can't figure out why this
is happening. So, we have the following layout:

          INTERNET
       / \
      / \
     V V
Server27 server28
Squid squid
   | |
   | |
   V V
web server/backend/originserver
no squid running on this box

Relevant config lines, these from server28:
cache_peer server27 sibling 3128 3130 proxy-only login=PASS
acl fromneighbor src 192.168.120.225 # IP for server27
cache_peer_access server27 allow fromneighbor
cache_peer server18 parent 80 0 no-query no-netdb-exchange no-digest
originserver login=PASS

Does anything look wrong? Why wouldn't server27 and 28 talk to each
other and use each others' cache?

Thanks

 If you are not the intended recipient of this message (including attachments), or if you have received this message in error, immediately notify us and delete it and any attachments. If you no longer wish to receive e-mail from Edward Jones, please send this request to messages@edwardjones.com. You must include the e-mail address that you wish not to receive e-mail communications. For important additional information related to this e-mail, visit www.edwardjones.com/US_email_disclosure