[squid-users] TCP/IP multiplexing using BIGIP F5 load-balancer

From: Raemaekers Mark <markraem@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 09:44:18 -0700 (PDT)

Dear squid-users,

-I have 2 squid 2.6.STABLE16 machines on linux
-one loadbalancer of F5 (version 9)
-one apache http server.

The loadbalancer has the functionality of opening only
1 TCP connection to a certain squid wc.

This means that the TCP connections of several HTTP
clients are actually multiplexed over 1 and the same
TCP session towards the squid. This feature is called
Oneconnect at F5 or more in general TCP multiplexing.

The big advantage is that the squid WC does not have
to deal with opening/closing TCP connections for each
HTTP connection.

This however can only work if squid send connetion:
Keep-alive back inside the returning http packets.
I see that the squid always sends back connection:
close.
How can I make sure that squid sends back connection:
keep-alive in stead of connection:close ?

I noticed both "auth_param ntlm keep_alive on" and
"auth_param negotiate keep_alive on" parameters, but
these are only during authentication phases. How can I
tell the squid to send connection:keep-alive for all
the http requests so that the TCP session of the BIGIP
will always remain open ?

Note : My clients are HTTP1.1 users.

Thanx in advance.