Re: [squid-users] Squid can't connect some web sites

From: Tek Bahadur Limbu <teklimbu@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 21:29:45 +0545

Hi Bruce,

Cheng Bruce wrote:
> Hi Tek,
>
> Thank you so much.
> Do you live in Nepal ?

Yes I am currently living in the Himalayan Kingdom of Nepal! And you are
from Singapore?

>> So pfSense is based on OpenBSD's PF firewall. Which OS is your hardware running on?
> pfSense's OS is FreeBSD 6.2, it is based on OpenBSD's PF firewall.
> If you are interested in pfSense, we can chat in private, pfSense is
> opensource, I think it very nice.

pfSense sounds interesting. If I decide to implement it, I will get help
from you then!

>> Although, the first time, I admit that it took a long time to access it. However, once the pages start loading, the browsing of this site is fine.
>
> I think that is maybe the problem is due to this site.
>
>> What is the exact error message that Squid reports before timing out?
> I see a lot of TCP_MISS.

It could be the web server's problem.

>> How did you install Squid? Are you sure that your ACLs are not affecting this site?
> pfSense ( www.pfsense.com) is the open source, it bases on m0n0wall
> (another firewall, OS is FreeBSD).
> pfSense has this package, I just click squid package link in webGUI,
> it will finish installing all relative packages.

So pfSense is something similar to Webmin? So you just click the Squid
package and it gets installed? What other packages besides Squid are
there in pfSense?

> I am sure that the RULEs are not affecting this site, and I set the
> rules in firewall to pass it to make sure it will go through my
> network.
>
>> Well since I can access this site, it could also mean the problem is arising due to pfSense. But I am not sure about it.
>
> At the beginning, I access this site without squid, and I can access
> this site but I need to wait for a long time to see whole pages.
> Therefore I think the problem may be due to pfSense.
> But I asked my friends (in Malaysia, in China, in Taiwan, in USA)
> access this site via Squid, they don't use pfSense, They have the same
> problems like me.

Since so many different people located in different regions are facing
the same problem too, then it is highly likely to be a problem at the
web server.

By the way, how are you managing access to this site (www.hsa.gov.sg)
currently? Are you bypassing this from your squid proxy server right now
to access it?

> Therefore I think there is something wrong between this site and
> Squid. I am trying to figure out what happen, but ...
>

>> 12:21:25 root@proxy:~$ telnet www.hsa.gov.sg 80
> I traced it before, but I am not quite sure where the main problem is.

Maybe other people on this list may have further suggestions. Let's wait
for a few more days.

By the way, do you also have a parent proxy server besides your pfSense
Squid box?

> Please advise me.
> Thank you in advance.
> Best Regards,