Re: [squid-users] Squid Cache on a Solaris ZFS file system

From: Michael Pye <michael@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 16:59:08 +0000

On Tue, Oct 30, 2007 at 01:38:31PM +0545, Tek Bahadur Limbu wrote:
> I wanted to know if somebody here is running a Squid cache on a Solaris
> box (i386)?
> Basically, I want to know if somebody here on this list is using a ZFS
> file system for a proxy cache and what will be it's performance? Will it
> improve or degrade Squid's performance? Or better still, is there any
> kind of benchmark tools for graphing Squid performance on a ZFS file system?

Well I can't offer you much info, but I am running squid on a solaris 10 sparc
box (v100) using zfs for the cache and logging areas of squid. It's not a
high performing system but my impression is that performance has improved, but
I haven't done any benchmarking, the v100 is pretty low spec cpu and only 1
IDE hd. However, I can recommend using zfs for your caching filesystem.

Also on solaris 10 make sure you compile squid with --enable-devpoll to get
good performance.

--
Michael