Re: [squid-users] Delay Pools on Class A Network

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2007 19:37:45 +1300

mark@ehle.homelinux.org wrote:
> Chris -
>
> Thanks again. Yes - it was a 24-bit mask. I knew what I meant(3 255's) I
> just wasn't paying enough attention.
>
> One more question - We have 2 T1's, aggregated together, so we have
> around 3Mb of bandwidth. I have around 50 public computers and 10 staff
> computers browsing at any one time that share this pipe. The staff
> machines are not on this proxy. Our ISP has the IP address that goes to
> the public proxy rate-limited at the router to no more than 75% of total
> bandwidth, which we can change if we want.

If you are paying for the lot, take the 100% for your usage. But if its
a per-byte cost then you will have to judge ourself whether its
cost-effective.

> What might be some good numbers to start with to keep the public from
> sucking us dry but give each patron enough bandwidth to have a decent
> browsing experience?

I find for most people a 256K peak access rate is enough to give a
great-seeming speed. It depends on where in the world you are though and
what your user base are used to from their homes. I've heard of places
where anything less than the full T1 per person is considered slow to
others where 128kpbs was fast.

You could also use ACLs as said earlier to make the delays only apply to
certain times or types.

You can exempt the text/html mime type so people can retrieve pages fast
for genuine research, but other items like videos, flash movies, music
etc get slowed down.

> Also, in your opinion, do we have enough bandwidth, or should I be
> researching more?

Thats a cost-benefit calculation you need to make yourself. It's always
worth knowing your alternatives, even if only to know whats too
expensive or too much trouble to be worth it.

Amos