[squid-users] Squid cluster - flat or hierarchical

From: John Moylan <redsnapper8t8@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 11:49:40 +0000

Hi,

I have 4 Squid 2.6 reverse proxy servers sitting behind an LVS
loadbalancer with 1 public IP address. In order to improve the hit
rate all 4 servers are all peering with eachother using ICP.

squid1 -> sibling squid{2,3,4}
squid2 -> sibling squid{1,3,4}
squid3 -> sibling squid{1,2,4}
squid4 -> sibling squid{1,2,3}

This works fine, apart from lots of warnings about forwarding loops in
the cache.log

I would like to ensure that the configs are optimized for an up and
coming big traffic event.

Can I disregard these forwarding loops and keep my squids in a flat
structure or should I break them up into parent sibling relationships.
Will the forwarding loop errors I am experiencing cause issues during
a quick surge in traffic?

Thanks,
John