Re: [squid-users] Squid cluster - flat or hierarchical

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 13:11:02 +1300 (NZDT)

> Hi,
>
> My loadbalancing is handled very well by LVS. My caches are using
> unicast ICP with the no-proxy option for their cache_peer's. I don't
> think Carp or round robin anything would help me much. My concern is
> whether or not my caches performance could suffer from forwarding
> loops if they are all siblings of each other? Is it OK to ignore the
> forwarding loop warnings in cache.log?

I'm not entirely sure. The warning appears when a request is dropped due
to the VERY nasty routing situation.
You may need to tweak the options a bit to remove them for siblings.
As an educated guess I'd expect digests etc to be leading to some of the
loops. As peer A tells peer B that peer C has access to it, when peer C
actually gets it from peer A etc.
Still tweaking a flat heirarchy to work as a cloud is harder than using a
efficiency-designed algorithm.

You WILL need some default for going direct though. Either to a default
parent, or allow_direct permissions.

Amos