Re: [squid-users] RE: Running Squid on NT > default domain on client

From: Guido Serassio <guido.serassio@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2007 12:19:23 +0100

Hi,

At 11.11 06/11/2007, Wever, J. wrote:
>Hi People,
>
>I have set up Squid 2.6 on a Win 2003 server with ntlm authentication,
>it works great only one problem is that my client (linux thinclients)
>are not joined to the domain and whenever they are prompted for a
>user/pass the user has to fill: domain\user for it to work.
>
>If the client (user) types just his username and password the hostname
>is used as the domain.

This is a NTLM correct behaviour: it happens also on Windows clients
non joined to a domain.
Correctly Internet Explorer displays a login dialog box with three
fields (username, password and domain) for NTLM authentication, while
Firefox displays always a two fields dialog box for both basic and
NTLM authentication.

>I have searched the faq and the email database and found many replies
>about configuring samba with smb.conf to use the default domain, however
>i'm not using samba.
>
>Is there anywhere else where i might set the default domain so my users
>only have to fill in a username and a password (without "domain\")?

This is a Client side problem, not a server side problem: It's the
client that fills the domain field of the NTLM request with the local
machine name. I don't know if it's possible to set the default NTLM
domain used for authentication on the Linux client.

Regards

Guido Serassio

-
Guido Serassio
Acme Consulting S.r.l. - Microsoft Certified Partner
Via Lucia Savarino, 1 10098 - Rivoli (TO) - ITALY
Tel. : +39.011.9530135 Fax. : +39.011.9781115
Email: guido.serassio@acmeconsulting.it
WWW: http://www.acmeconsulting.it/