Re: [squid-users] Maximum users a squid-server can handle

From: Tek Bahadur Limbu <teklimbu@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2007 21:33:36 +0545

Hi Goj,

Goj, Dirk wrote:
> Hi there :)
>
> Is it possible to give any forecast about the maximum clients a specified machine can server in future ? I know it depends hardly on the behave of the clients...

It will also depend on the hardware of your Squid machine. More memory
and fast hard drives will help you alot.

> More detailed... a the moment we're using one squid to serve only about 150 inhouse users. In future the proxy should serve 400-600 outsourced office connectet via vpn, but surfing via the proxy-server.

 From my experience, a single proxy server can handle anywhere from 100
to 2000 users. That will approximately be 10 to 300 requests per second.

I suppose all your future clients will be on fiber optical connections
which will definitely be much more friendly to Squid compared to
satellite connections.

I am attaching some monthly graphs of one of my Squid proxy server. They
include req/sec, traffic/sec and average number of clients.
The graph in red represents the number of TCP connections per second.

In case your clients user base grows above 1000, then you can always add
another Squid proxy server which will not only serve your increased HTTP
traffic but will also act as a fail-over method for redundancy.

Hope that helps.

Thanking you ...

--
With best regards and good wishes,
Yours sincerely,

cache11-clients-month.png cache11-http-traffic-month.png cache11-tcp-connections-month.png cache2-reqsec-month.png