Re: [squid-users] offline_mode and miss_access problems

From: murrah boswell <otrcomm@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 18:56:25 -0700

Hello Henrik,

> > Am I missing something? I thought that the offline_mode would cause squid to serve entries from cache, instead of going to the
web
> > to get entries. I also thought that miss_access could be used to deny access to the web for certain users if a requested url was
not
> > in the cache.

> Yes.. but offline_mode does not stop Squid from fetching items not already in the cache..

> > But, it does not seem to be working that way. miss_access does not appear to allow any cached entries to be served even if the
users
> > are listed in an http_access acl.

> Is the object in the cache?

Yes they are in the cache!

> Did the request allow to be satisfied by cache? (Cache-Control/Pragma headers)

I am not quite sure what you mean here, but user 'wget' can retrieve items from cache.

> Note: When not in offline_mode expired content will get a denial if denied by miss_access I think..

All the items in the cache are fresh when I am testing. I have rebuilt the cache and logs several times to be sure that I am
starting with fresh data.

I was trying to do the same thing a few years ago and started this thread
http://www1.uk.squid-cache.org/mail-archive/squid-users/200402/0526.html. I eventually got it working with your help using this
configuration:

acl password proxy_auth REQUIRED
acl wget_prog proxy_auth wget
acl our_networks src 192.168.1.0/24 ...

http_access allow password
http_access deny all

miss_access allow wget_prog
offline_mode on

However, I have since lost the server where I had this squid configuration running and am now trying to recreate what I had a few
years ago.

The configuration that worked a few years ago is not working now, so I am confused. I keep getting a 'Forwarding Denied' error
message for all users except the 'wget' user. I know I have overlooked something, but I can not figure what it might be! The only
difference is that in 2004, I was using a SquidGuard redirector and now I am not.

Basically, I am trying to only allow user 'wget' access to the Web and all other users must retrieve information from the cache. I
will use the wget program to fetch information from the Web and load it into cache for other users.

Thanks,

Murrah Boswell