Re: [squid-users] Performance Issues Using NTML

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 03:32:39 +0100

On tis, 2007-11-13 at 10:30 +0900, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 13, 2007, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
>
> > For NTLM you need lots of helpers due to the chatty nature of the NTLM
> > protocol. And also the number of helpers does not have much impact on
> > load.. All that happens if you have too many is that Squid uses a little
> > bit more memory as there is more helper processes spawned each using a
> > bit of memory..
>
> And as we've found out ourselves increasing the number of helpers doesn't
> help(!) when the bottleneck is Samba..

True. If the bottleneck is Samba or the DC connection then things will
spiral down, no matter how many helpers there is.

But there is light. Samba is improving, and winbind should now be able
to handle multiple concurrent queries I think.. But it does not help if
the connection to the DC is unstable..