[squid-users] cache peering - load balancing and failover

From: Manu Garg <manugarg@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 19:09:42 +0530

Here is my problem:

I have a cache server at location X: cache.X. This server peers up
with cache servers at location Y and Z:
cache1.Y,
cache2.Y,
cache1.Z,
cache2.Z.

I want cache.X to talk to cache[12].Y in round robin manner as long as
they are accessible. Peering should failover to cache[12].Z only if
X->Y connectivity is down.

Is it possible to do this with squid? Probably, something of the sort -

cache_peer cache1.Y parent 3128 0 no-query round-robin priority=1
cache_peer cache2.Y parent 3128 0 no-query round-robin priority=1
cache_peer cache1.Z parent 3128 0 no-query round-robin priority=2
cache_peer cache2.Z parent 3128 0 no-query round-robin priority=2

But, there is no such option as priority for cache_peer directive.
There is a "weight" thing, but that also doesn't work with round-robin
option.

Please let me know if it's possible to do this some way.

I am willing to implement this option if nobody is already working on
such a thing.

thanks,
Manu

--