Re: [squid-users] Squid as transparent proxy for Outlook Web Access

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 11:40:27 +1300

Patrick Tschackert wrote:
> Amos Jeffries wrote:
>
>> Did you then have 'accel' on the port where you now have transparent.
>> And 'originserver' on the cache_peer? That should have prevented clients
>> going around the proxy as it make squid appear to be the legit data source.
>>
>> Perhapse this will help somewhat
>> # force all traffic via OWA source peer
>> never_direct deny all
>> cache_peer_access 300.200.80.254 allow all
>>

> Hey, thanks a lot for your advice!
> It all worked without a hitch and solved a few other problems I was having besides the http auth situation.
> Great!
>
>> Sorry, bad joke.
>> "strange Microsoft design decision for reasons we outsiders don't
>> understand." "God only knows at this point" etc.
>
> Oh, tell me about it. This is a reason for many frustrations I've had (not just in this project). Unfortunately the server on which I'm supposed to install the Proxy runs Windows, company policy :(
>
> Well, I'm very thankful for your advice anyway!
> There's another thing I'd like to do with the same squid proxy, maybe you can also help on this issue (if I haven't tested your patience enough already):
>
> Is there a way to listen on multiple ports and forward the traffic to various ports on the same originserver?
> Here's another stunning example of an ASCII schematic :)
>
> Client request (Port 80) <--> Squidserver:80 <--> 300.200.80.254:80
> Client request (Port 11994) <--> Squidserver:11994 <--> 300.200.80.254:11994

Sure, easy enough with squid 2.6 or later.
Just configure multiple http_port lines for the listening side.
Multiple cache_peers on the source side, each with a unique name= option
to tell them apart.

The cache_peer_access will need a little tweaking to use the peer names
and add an ACL of type 'myport' or 'port' to do the port-wise routing as
you want it.

something like this for each peer:

   cache_peer 300.200.80.254 parent 80 0 ... name=peer80
   acl port80 myport 80
   cache_peer_access peer80 allow port80

Amos