[squid-users] Using external ACL helper w/ "user=" result keyword to modify cache_peer "login=*:pass"

From: Glenn Zazulia <squid@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 11:57:36 -0700

Hi,

I'm using Squid 2.6 on Redhat & Windows, organized such that the squid
child proxies each live in separate (NTLM) authentication domains and
they forward all HTTP requests to a parent squid proxy using basic
authentication with the cache_peer "login=*:pass" construct. This works
well, and I am able to see in the parent log file the domain\user info
for each request.

What I'd like to do, though, is to modify/normalize the user name after
successful authentication by the child proxy so that the parent proxy
receives the user's email address instead of the less globally-unique
domain\user info. I'm experimenting with an external ACL helper script
that attempts to dynamically modify the user name by returning strings
such as "OK user=foo@bar.com". However, doing this seems to have no
effect: nothing that I return for "user=" in the helper script appears
in the parent proxy's log file. Instead, the original authenticated
user name string continues to be logged.

I'd greatly appreciate any pointers in this area. Thanks so much for
your help.

Glenn Zazulia