Re: [squid-users] Listening on port 80

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 12:52:37 +1300 (NZDT)

> I tried that, but Squid fails to start. I am using Squidman on Mac OS X
> that
> uses squid 2.5. When I'm not logged in as root, I can't use port 80, and
> when I am logged in as root, I can't use squid!

Ah, I highly recommend squid 2.6.
Contact the squidman developer about getting it upgraded.
http://homepage.mac.com/adg/SquidMan/index.html

A cache_effective_user setting may get around the root problems, but it
will depend on how squidman alters the squid.conf whether any help we can
give gets preserved or wiped on the next GUI-made update.

Amos

> Amos Jeffries-2 wrote:
>>

>>> I'm sure somebody has asked this before, but I can't find anything.
>>>
>>> I'm desperately trying to figure out how I can listen on port 80 with
>>> Squid
>>> (if it is even possible). My proxy at work only allows traffic on port
>>> 80,
>>> so I am trying to set up a tunnel at home for applications that use
>>> other
>>> ports. Squid doesn't let you run as root, yet you have to be root to