Re: [squid-users] Listening on port 80

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 13:44:17 +1300 (NZDT)

> Interesting. Squidman lets you edit squid.conf separate from the GUI to
> your
> heart's content, so that's no problem. Is cache_effective_user a 2.6 only
> option or will that work with the 2.5 implementation?

It's a 2.5 legacy option. Allows you to start squid as root and it suids
down to the user.
http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v2/2.6/cfgman/cache_effective_user.html

Do try 2.6 though. 2.5 is obsolete and has a lot of known problems that
have been fixed in the current versions along with a lot of general
improvements.

Amos